"Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." ~ 1 Kings 19:11

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." ~ Psalm 46:1

"... Bring my sons from afar, and my daughters from the ends of the earth- everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. Lead out those who have eyes but are blind, who have ears but are deaf." ~ Isaiah 43: 6-8

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Redefining

Words have definitions, you know those ones that seem to be set in stone. Then there's those words that everyone just thinks mean something. Like all the labels people put on each other. Emo means you're depressed and wear all black. Prep means you're stuck up and rich. There's tons more. I hate the way we do that. How we forget true meanings of words, replace them with traditions or stereotypes. I've witnessed two majors of these in the last months.





1. The words "Best Friend" - How many teenage girls say they have best friends? Almost every single one. How many don't? I don't know. I'm guessing a lot of people were me. I thought I had friends. Thought they were my best friends. But did we ever really know what that meant? I sure didn't. I thought it was like what you hear, sleepovers, talking about boys, makeup, and clothes. But how come, when I had that, it didn't feel right, I couldn't trust anyone and always felt like I was pretending to be someone I'm not. We've created this mold for best friends. It has to be just like so or they must not be friends. Well, I'm sorry, that's not right. You can have best friends who've gone through stuff. You can have best friends who talk about things other than guys, makeup, and clothes. You can have best friends who you laugh with... and cry with. You can have a best friend who knows that friendship truly is just another form of love. I'm redefining friendship. Starting now.





2. The Psychologist/Counselor/Shrink Bubble - How many have heard the word shrink? Almost everyone. No one can stand them. The annoying counselor who falls asleep during a session, the one who doesn't even give a care, the one who just suggests medicine and other doctors, the one who's just in it for the money. But most of all, who's going to tell all their problems to a random stranger? My goal is to redefine this role. I want the word counselor to mean what it should of meant all along. The dictionary defines counselor as one who gives advice, an adviser. Yes, that is true. But a counseler needs to know someone, truly know them. You know how easy it is to lie to a counseler? I sure do. Sixth grade, I lied to one. Pretending I was okay, when I was on the verge of suicidal. It's easy to pretend to be okay. Especially to a complete stranger. My best friend agrees with me that teens need someone like themselves, a younger person they can trust. Like a 20 something, easy going understanding, not in for the money person. That's who I want to be. Redefine counseler as someone who gives advice that you can trust, that can be your best friend and there whenever you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment