"Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." ~ 1 Kings 19:11

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." ~ Psalm 46:1

"... Bring my sons from afar, and my daughters from the ends of the earth- everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. Lead out those who have eyes but are blind, who have ears but are deaf." ~ Isaiah 43: 6-8

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lying

For the past two days I've been thinking about lying. What is it exactly?

Supposedly, its telling something other than the truth. But what if it was an accidental lie? You thought something was true, but it ended up not being? Or what if you were lying to protect someone? What if you were lying, so you didn't hurt someone? Is that really considered lying?


What if everyone just told you the flat-out truth? What would the world be like? ...Honestly, that just gave me a huge new story idea... anyway, back to the subject.

How many people lie everyday? How many faces that you pass are just faking a smile? How many people, underneath, are crumbling? How many people lie to your face everyday?

I try not to lie. My parents know almost everything about me. Lately, I've wondered if I could lie to them. I tried, twice. I could. And I can only imagine how many others lie to the parents daily. Maybe it's to protect their drug habit, maybe so they don't get in trouble, maybe so their family doesn't fall apart, maybe so they don't get kicked out of the house, or maybe, it's because they don't want anyone to know they are falling apart.


I hate lying. Especially to my mom. I've lied only about four times to my mom. I'm glad I can tell her things. But sometimes I don't want to, so I avoid the subject.

Maybe you want to know why I've been thinking about lying. The other day my best friend said an accidental lie. It hurt me to know my best friend could lie to me and I couldn't tell.

I talked to her about it later, and she said, "If I really wanted to, I could lie to you." She has no idea how much that statement made my heart jump. I already know she used to be suicidal, what if she's lying when she says she's not? We have a mutual friend, and I'm afraid she cuts. It just made me think, how many people I talk to lie about how they are?

A girl post depressing status on facebook, no one comments, next week that girl is gone. When asked, her friends say, "But she never told us anything was wrong." "She said she was okay."
Where were they when their friend needed them to see through her lies?

The website sixbillionsecrets.com terrifies me, because who knows who's secrets they are. What if they're what's really inside my best friend's heart and I can't see it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just started following your blog and I can relate to this post as lying is something that I too have contemplated often. I often feel like I am lying when I fake that everything is alright...it feels terrible but sometimes I feel like it's something that I need to do. Another thing I wonder about is just not telling someone something but not actually saying straight out that it's not true. I believe that is a form of lying though not everyone would agree. It's an interesting topic actually (though it can be quite tragic.)

    Also, I'm sorry that your friend lied to you. That really hurts. Regaining someone's trust after that can be hard too :(

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I checked out that website that you had posted, absolutely unbelievable. It broke me to see all of the things that teens in this world are going through. The saddest part is though, that society sees us as a burden and many times we are left to look out for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete